Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inspired.


Did anyone else watch American Idol last night? It was the Idol Gives Back program. I did. I was completey inspired. Now what am I going to do about it? I dont know. I was not so inspired by all the celebritys.. well Brad Pitt was looking F-I-N-E but otherwise it was the stories of people, all over the world who live in seriously grave situations. From the sweet people in Uganda that the band "Daughtry" visited, to the people of our very own country in rural Kentucky that live is shambles of homes. Where less than 50% of the population graduates high school. Where parents can not afford to feed their children, let alone by them books to learn to read. This one families Kitchen was seriously shambles. Not one cupboard had a door on it. The sweet kids from New Orleans saying that they day dream about just going home. And having a home, not a temporary place to lay their heads nearly 3 years later. I feel like we have so many less fortunate people in this world. I think of these little souls who were born in Africa only to have their parents die from AIDS. I was inspired by Alicia Keyes' statement that if America cared enough about the AIDS crisis, cared as much as we do about celebrity drama, that we would be well on our way to a solution to this monumental, global problem.
I also seen an article about the amount of money Jolie/Pitt family donated to charity last yer. Nearly 50% of their earnings. How amazing. I thought for a minute, wow, they make millions they should donate and then when I got further in to the article I seen the amount of money people like Tim McGraw and Faith Hill make and do not donate nearly the amount of money or time to such causes. The kicker was Jay-Z and Beyonce, who earned over $100 million dollars combined last year. And it didnt mention what they donated but probably not nearly what the PITTs did. I dont even know what I am talking about anymore but I just wish I had the funds to help more people. I feel guilty for throwing away food because I let it waste, or not appreciating a having a home, or clean water, or access to doctors. I feel good about being a member of a Church that contributes so much to humanitiarian efforts, I always give money to the humanitiarian fund, hoping my little donation will help. My point is this, if American Idols goal with doing the Idol Gives Back show was to make me feel blessed and want to do more for the impoverished people in this world, that it worked. Now I need to figure out what I can do. If you didnt watch it you missed out on some comedic moments with Robin Williams talking about Simon's man boobs. FUNNY! and Ben Stiller talking about a Gagillion dollars and Simon needing some of it for a new shirt. My favorite was Rob Snieder saying that Bono only has have the money to save Africa. Hence the reason we need to participate in Idol Gives Back. Anyways it was a good show! Help me think of ways to help PEOPLE!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

So I feel completely guilty for even commenting to your post because I seriously do nothing to help people. I mean yes I give my check to the boys each month and I participate in the Humanitarian Project for the Neighborhood but really can I honestly say that I'm helping PEOPLE, No I can't. My church is helping people so I feel good about that because I helped contribute my measly amount but than again I feel guilty about that because in the back of my mind I think "geez, that offering is really going to help me come tax return time when I can write it off and get into a lower tax bracket" The helping people part is totally and after thought, which is so wrong. But you asked how to help and you didn't require that the person actually have any experience in helping so I'm responding. One of my fav websites (LDS.org yes its one of my favorite even if I don't show it very often) gives some good info.

http://www.lds.org/library/page/display/0,7098,6433-1-3298-1,00.html

The link takes you directly to the "How can I help" page of the church humanitarian effort. I loves going through the church for donations or any humanitarian effort because I feel like I can trust them to distributing it properly. One of the things you could do easily is donate to DI. The majority of the nice stuff you donate doesn't even make it to the sales floor. Instead it's shipped directly to countries. Or needy families get free certificates to shop at any of the locations. Working at the women and children shelter here locally I've seen plenty of those DI coupons used to help very needy families in the essentials of life. I love DI its one of my favorites store and when I spend money there I know that it's helping some other person get job training or food/clothing or one of those other essentials of life. Plus, there is the fact that I get some great bargains. Uh oh now I'm feeling guilty again. I really need to learn to do some service that gives me nothing in return put a warm feeling!

BostonPat said...

You should know that Tim McGraw and Faith Hill founded the Neighbor's Keepers Foundation, donated the proceeds from their shows in Biloxi and New Orleans to the localities, donate through the Tug McGraw Foundation, St. Judes, Heifer Foundation, LittleStars Foundation, Celebrity Fight Night, Fashion Rocks, Swampstock (where they provide scholarships to local students in LA...and to countless other charities and causes, and visit children in hospitals over the holidays and donate many sign memorabilia to others trying to raise funds..so before you make a statement that suggests that they are not generous, you should do a little homework...they are probably one of the most generous couples out there, they just don't advertise every gift they make

Jessica Potter said...

Kristy. LDS.org is such a great idea I did not think about the How can I help? tab. Will for sure check it out.

BostonPat. Wow.. I am feeling pretty sweet that someone read my blog other than the people I know. Thanks so much for you comment. You are right I probably should have researched that out a little more before I commented about the McGraw's and their humanitarian efforts.I was soley basing my info from the article I read stating the percentage of dontations to charity that celebrites make. I really shouldnt have taken it for face value before I posted but somedays I get on a rampage and just dont know when to stop. Again thanks so much for clearing that up for us and the McGraw's have definetly inspired me!

Brie said...

II AM HAPPY YOU LIKE IT .. BUT MAN I WAS SO BORED.. LOL..I LIKED WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND ALL.. BUT MOST THE TIME I CHANGED THE CHANNEL.. TO MUCH HORMONES FOR ME.. ACKKK.. I KNOW I KNOW IM A BAD PERSON!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I watched it, the only idol I've won all year. I thought it was awesome. I wish they had done things for the families they visited -- but I guess the money they raised will do things.
Ways to give back...hmm you could call the woman's shelter and take photos of the kids there? Some of the woman might treasure those. Or family photos for people of low income that can't afford professional ones? You are so so so talented, I think you should use your talents to give back! Every photo you post, I'm like WOW!!