Monday, April 7, 2008

Going Green.

(This shirt reads: "Pollution Stinks")
I purchased this shirt because it reminds me of the song "Recycle, Reduce, Reuse.. and close the Loop, and close the Loop" You girls my age hopefully remember this song from Saturday morning cartoon commercial breaks. This song always inspires me to do better. LOL. It has a nice jingle to it. If you are not familiar ask me to sing it to you.

Am I the only one who is disturbed that we live in a greater metropolitan area and we have no "pick-up" recycling services. I have been thinking alot about our environment lately. And how much it has changed even since I was a little girl. The sun is hotter, the air is dirtier, the ozone is thinner. This concerns me. I feel like if we choose to bring little children to this earth we should be better about taking care of it. (Sorry I will get off my soap box.) That is pretty hypocritical of me. I am not very good about being environmentally conscious. But today is the dawn of a new day. I checked some websites around town and found that we can drop off our recycling at different locations to the Wasatch Integrated Waste Management District. Sooo.. I am going to start taking my recycling there. I think we should recycle as a neighbor hood and show our children that its important to recycle. So any ladies in the 'hood wanting to join me? I will be placing 4 garbage bins in the inside of the fence against my house on the east side for recycling. Each bin will be labeled for the following:

PAPER- Magazines, Newspaper, ect.

GLASS- all colors but brown. (no need to remove labels)

ALUMINUM/TIN- Pop cans, canned good containers, ect.

PLASTIC- Number's 1 and 2 only. (look for a number, usually within a triangle, located on the bottom of the plastic container)

Please feel free to go in my gate and put your recycling there. Lets make a conscious effort to better or environment together!

*Special note: I just spell checked my post and believe it or not I had 11 frickin' miss spells. Ugh.*

**PS. Checked my spelling again, make that 15.

9 comments:

*** said...

Love the shirt and I do want you to sing me the song this week, I remember it but how can I pass up your offer :). When we lived in the avenues, we had a separate dumpster for recycling. I bet you could get something started in the area to get it picked up. I'm sure we paid for it somehow, but well worth it! Tim recycles and turns in everything here for gas money...a little incentive to keep CA a little cleaner. Great thoughts!

Anonymous said...

cute shirt. ALUMINUM is hard to spell! I need to be greener too..

Kristy said...

That's a great idea! Count me in on the recycling plan. If you are interested I do have compost bins that we started using last year for all our biodegradeable food stuff. If you'd like to throw your produce trash over here you are more than welcomed. I would love it if if your did so I can use it in my garden eventually. I have 2 bins and I've come nowhere close to filling them yet.My husband and I have talked about recycling but never got our butts in gear to do anything. Thank you for actually doing something to get us all motivated.

Me said...

Roman is so dang cute. I can't believe the last time I saw him he wasn't even crawling. Anyway- my parents have a recycling pickup, comes same day as garbage pickup. I wonder if it is just in some places. Anyway, Kit and I have started our own recycling box and drop it off every month or so. I only recycle can's so far (you should see how much diet pepsi I drink, disgusting) but I should do more, MORE! Thanks for the post Jessie.

Lacey said...

I was just telling Gator yesterday that I think it's lame we don't have recycling pick-up. Let me know when your garbage/recycling bins are out.

Jessica said...

Good for you! I've been meaning to call around to find a place for recycling, but haven't made the effort yet---other than newspapers. Anyway, we will gladly contribute our junk to your bins! How much will you be charging for your service?

Jessica Potter said...

Well for everyone else it will be free of course. But for The Rawson's it will be One-MILLION-dollars! LOL

Rachelle said...

Jess you are great, I get a kick out of reading your blogs. Your still the same, I love it!!!

pinkmorning said...

he looks so cute in this picture!